The castle on the top of the Colle delle Capre dominates Piazza Maggiore and is the emblem of the town.
The name Alboino’s Castle derives from the tradition that Feltre was destroyed many times by the barbarians but each time was immediately rebuilt. Archaeological excavations, however, date the keep to the 11th century. The castle, having a primarily defensive function, had four angular towers, only one of which, known to the people of Feltre as el Campanon, still stands. There once stood at the top of the tower an enormous Lion of St. Mark.
The present day Clock Tower was the former entrance. The external decoration was created by Lorenzo Luzzo in 1518 and some of the rooms contain 16th-century frescos.