Cathedral of St. Peter
The Cathedral of St. Peter, outside the city walls, was rebuilt after the destruction of 1510. The 11th-century crypt and gothic apse are the only remains of earlier churches. The graffito decoration of the façade representing St. Peter Enthroned and Saints Vittore and Corona dates from the 16th century and is partly covered by the rose window which was reopened in 1894. Inside is the 13th-century pink marble throne of Bishop Adalgerio Villalta and the memorial to the doctor and philosopher Matteo Bellati by Tullio Lombardo (1528). The organ is by Gaetano Callido.
Three sculptures in wood, St. Peter, St. Prosdocimo and the Redeemer are by Francesco Terilli. The paintings of interest include the altarpieces, the Madonna della Misericordia and San Giovanni Battista, by Pietro de' Marascalchi, the Madonna del Carmine by Francesco Frigimelica, the panel with the Madonna Assunta and San Pietro by Antonio Lazzarini, the Madonna and Child and San Vittore e Santa Corona by Paolo Dal Pozzo, San Bonaventura and San Michele Banishing the Rebel Angels by Agostino Ridolfi and the Supper at Emmaus by Girolamo Turro. In the Chapel of the Santissimo we find the Annunciation, Nativity and Adoration of the Magi by Giambattista Volpato (1672).