The Imperial Gate
The Imperial Gate is the western entrance to the city leading into Via Mezzaterra. The original name was Cormeda Gate, but tradition tells us that it took its present name because all the Emperors, from Frederick II to Charles IV, passed through it when visiting the city. Since 1876, it has also been known as the Castaldi Gate in honour of Panfilo Castaldi, one of the first Italian printers, who came from Feltre.
Built in 1489 under Girolamo Cappello, it was remodelled on classical lines in 1545, losing its defensive characteristics.